Thursday, February 9, 2012

It's Thursday so I will hereby wish you a Very Happy Thursday. It's also going to be my Blog Day if I can manage to post a little something on a regular basis. The original idea here was to post recipes for people to try, comment on, add to, trade around, etc. This may or may not be practical. There are a few directions this might take:

1. Reviews of books I'm reading that pertain to: food, nutrition, eating events, regional cooking, etc. Right now I'm delving into M.F.K. Fisher who is providing no end of lore, hilarity and
delight around a life in the kitchen.

2. Reports from the field: what's at the farmer's market, what I'm making for people, what I'm
learning from the whole spectrum of the art and science of cookery, growing food, creating
celebrations with people, etc. Most recently I attended the Fancy Food Show in San Francisco and talked to people from all over the world about their native foods and discovered a common sense of longing amongst attendees to preserve the kitchens, flavors and traditions of their elders and ancestors. Pretty tasty conversations!

3. Sketches from my new writing project that entail a personal history of learning to cook, the places I've lived, the people who inspired me, my particular sensory take on the subject, the mental, physical and emotional palate and how it ties in to memory and identity. I may share in a week or two a piece I'm writing about the sense of SMELL and where it has taken me. Look for it in the weeks to come.

I'll leave you with that teaser and mention that one job I'm looking forward to in the months to come is leading a cooking class for 10-12 year old girls at a special day long event held at the fabulous Stillheart Institute. Last year I made all the food and gave a short talk on improving food choices and answered lots of questions . This year we'll give them the hands on opportunity to make their own meals!

In light of self-care and self-love, do something nurturing for yourself this week......

No comments:

Post a Comment

You don't have to join or be a member of this blog to leave a comment. I'd love to hear what you think and if there is any way I can help you on YOUR food, art and wellness journey!